Keeping our council tax rates one of the lowest in the region
Chorley continues to see record investment and we are proud of our record of delivery.
Through effective management of our budget and investment in income generating projects, we have been able to maintain one of the lowest levels of council tax in Lancashire.
Please see below the comparable rates of District Council portion of Council Tax for a Band D property across Lancashire:
Band D Equivalent
This year as a result of our efficiency savings and external income generation, it is only necessary for a us to propose a 1.99% increase in Council Tax - around 7p a week for a Band D property.
The government wish us to raise it by much more than this so they can give less money to Chorley.
Other councils elsewhere are also raising their % by far more, unfortunately along with other preceptors in Lancashire who make up the full Council Tax bill. See the breakdown below:
Chorley - 1.99%
LCC - 3.99%
Lancashire Police - 6.34%
Lancashire Fire Service - 6.47%
We remain committed to providing value for money, alongside delivering excellent services and providing much needed support for residents. Our priorities for the coming year remain:
- Investment in affordable housing and community facilities
- Providing access to good jobs and excellent education
- Maintaining a thriving Town and Village centres
- Supporting local businesses and other organisations
- Sustaining a green and environmentally diverse borough, where residents can live well, healthy and safe in engaged communities with a strong economy.
We believe that Chorley should not rely on residents to continually pay more and more and we believe our policy of delivering projects that contribute to our own funding delivers for everyone.
*includes Band D equivalent Special Expenses of £21.40